Downtown Yarns is a neighborhood yarn shop dedicated
to keeping the craft of knitting alive and well among the members
of this community, young and old alike...
Monday - Saturday 12-7pm;
Sunday 12-6 pm
Directions to our East Village store on
45 Avenue A (between 3rd and 4th Streets):
1. Take F,V to 2nd Avenue, exit 1st Avenue, walk to Ave A
2. Take 6 to Bleecker Street and walk east to Avenue A
3. Take L train to 1st Avenue and walk southeast to Avenue A
1. Take M14A which travels along Avenue A (N/S) and get off near 3rd Street
2. Take the M21 which travels along Houston (E/W) and get off at Avenue A
3. Take the M8 which travels E on St. Marks St & W on 9th St and get off at Avenue A
at Tompkins Square Park
We carry selected yarns from the following companies (partial
Blue Sky Alpacas
Manos de Uruguay
Briggs and Little
In addition, we carry a full line of needles and notions from Clover, Addi,
For inspiration and reference, we sell magazines (Vogue Knitting, Rebecca, and Rowan -- just to name a few), sheet patterns, and the latest, as well as the classics in knitting books.
The young artists whose illustrations adorn this website are also knitters. Thank you: Maya and Thalia Vilaplana, Joy Sheehan, and Oona Montalvo.